I had so much fun catching up with Olivia this weekend. We discussed a road trip in March and I’m super excited for it!
A chronicle of the decade-long hunt for al-Qaeda terrorist leader Osama bin Laden after the September 2001 attacks, and his death at the hands of the Navy S.E.A.L. Team 6 in May, 2011.
Warning: Possible spoilers
I’m gonna say before I start that this movie blew me away. I didn’t know what to expect from it and I wasn’t sure how much I would enjoy it. But by the end, I was amazed.
First off, let’s start with the main character – Maya, played by Jessica Chastain. I didn’t realize till now that I’ve seen two of her other movies – Lawless and The Help. I loved her in Lawless but I honestly think I love her more in this movie. She plays a very strong female role, something that we are slowly starting to see more and more in movies. What I enjoyed most was her characters progression through the movie. When it first starts she seems timid and a bit shocked at the interrogation tactics that she is allowed to watch. As the movie progresses, she becomes more confident and more sure of herself and her position. Plus, during most of the movie, she’s surrounded by men, so it’s nice to see that her character isn’t afraid to speak up and make herself known. The Golden Globes are tonight and I really hope she receives one.
The movie follows the timeline from September 11th to the day that Osama bin Laden was killed. The first thing you hear in the movie is recording of telephone calls from people inside the twin towers on September 11th. While there is no picture, hearing the audio (even though it is probably re creations) is pretty intense.
For a good chunk of the movie it was hard to follow some of the dialogue because of all the technical jargon. But eventually you are able to follow the story line about what is going on. The part that most people are probably most interested in, the actual compound mission, is at the very end. It is worth the wait though. It definitely makes you realize what those guys went through and just how bad it would have been had they been caught.
There were several other well known names in the movie; Jason Clarke, Kyle Chandler, Jennifer Ehle, Joel Edgerton, Chris Pratt, which made it even more enjoyable.
Over all I would give it a 9 out of 10. I really enjoyed it, minus the parts where I couldn’t really understand the dialogue. I would also buy it once it came out on DVD.
Maya: I’m the motherf***** who found this place sir!
Maya: It’s 100%. I know that certainty freaks you guys out…but it’s a 100.
Maya: [to Navy SEALs] Quite frankly, I didn’t even want to use you guys, with your dip and velcro and all your gear bullshit. I wanted to drop a bomb. But people don’t believe in this lead enough to drop a bomb. So they’re using you guys as canaries. And, in theory, if Bin Laden isn’t there, you can sneak away and no one will be the wiser. But Bin Laden is there. And you’re going to kill him for me.
Justin: So Patrick, be honest with me. You really believe this story? I mean [turns to Maya] no offense, no offense. I don’t. But…Osama bin Laden?
Justin: What part convinced you?
Patrick: Her confidence.
Saturday I went to a going away party for one of my friends who’s leaving for the Navy. Brandon and I officially met in college, but we did attend the same High School. Our circles just never connected while we were there.
I haven’t kept in touch with many people from my High School, but it was nice to see Andrea and Brad. Andrea and I see each other every once in awhile, while I haven’t seen Brad since graduation.
Andrea is also leaving for the Navy and her party is this weekend. I’m going to miss them but I know they will do great things.
Yep, it’s time for that typical after new years post – resolutions. I honestly haven’t done resolutions in awhile, but this year I decided I wanted to try and do a few things. I’m trying to keep them sweet and simple, in the hopes that I’ll actually follow through on them.
1. Read more – My specific goal is to read 50 books this year. Yikes! If I can’t get to 50, I’m hoping I can at least get to half. So we shall see. I’ll be tracking what books I read on my book page as well as this site: http://www.goodreads.com/user/show/16096256-bond So go take a look if it interests you.
2. Work out – Yes, I’m doing one of the more common resolutions. Though you will notice how I didn’t specify how much I want to work out or how much I want to lose. That’s because one of the things that discourages me the most is when I don’t meet that goal. One of the reasons I’m doing this is I want to get more healthy (notice I didn’t specify lose so many pounds) and I work at the Y, therefore free membership.
3. Be aware of world events – On New Years my friends and I were at dinner and somehow we started talking about the Kardashians (awkward). When I thought about it, I realized how stupid it is that I can tell you all of their names yet I couldn’t tell you the names of people in congress. Part of this is thanks to how much status these people get on tv. So I’m going to try and focus more on actual news stories as opposed to “this celebrity is dating so and so.”
4. See my friends – I need to make a better effort to meet up with my friends/sisters, even if it’s just for a few hours. I’m also hoping I can take a few trips to see people who aren’t in Oklahoma. I didn’t travel much in 2012 and I’m starting to get that urge to go somewhere (St. Louis maybe?)
5. Go outside more – I love the outdoors. I love camping, hiking etc. Thing is, I didn’t go enjoy it as much as I wanted to last year. So this year I want to get outside. Little camping trips, find some places to hike. Stuff like that. It’ll especially be good for me if I don’t get the chance to go to camp this summer.
So those are my resolutions. I’m thinking about posting them somewhere where I can see them so that in a few weeks I won’t forget about them.
Do you have any resolutions? Leave me a comment!